- we can find two types of breastfeeding attachment. That is baby-led attachment and the mother-led attachment
- If you find good breast attachment you can ensure deep and regular sucking. Also, well-drained breasts are there with no breast pains and nipple damage.
- You can get more advice from your midwife, child, and family health nurse, or lactation consultant.
How to ensure a breastfeeding attachment
The breastfeeding attachment may vary from person to person. The proper technique and the positions of breastfeeding can be established between mother and baby with time. It may take time, you need to practice for it and you should have the patience for that.
It is advisable for you to get support from your GP, healthcare officer, or midwife to find a lactation consultant and get a sound understanding of breastfeeding attachment theory.
Baby-Led breastfeeding attachment
The best breastfeeding teacher is your baby. It means letting your baby learn about breastfeeding and he/she teaches you the proper methodology. It will take time. Be patient and practice. I love you a baby to find their instincts to find the mother’s breast and its attachment
Baby-led attachment strictly can be practiced just after the baby is born. Use your skin-to-skin contact with the baby and try to make a bond with your baby. That bonding may help to restore good breastfeeding attachment with your baby. Then, they will eventually find out their own proper techniques of breastfeeding.
If you find sore nipples or cracked nipples during breastfeeding time, It signifies that still you are unable to find the proper breastfeeding attachment and techniques with the mom and the baby. These painful nipples allow very poor attachment to the breast and it causes a lot of problems.
How can we start with baby-Led breastfeeding attachment
Ensuring skin-to-skin attachment with the baby is the first thing. To facilitate this team your baby should be lightly dressed. Try to take off your bra when you are breastfeeding. In the early days, you can find a place to ensure privacy for this purpose. Then you are a baby can you learn well
You should be in a comfortable position supporting the pillows. Don’t try to sit upright always try to lean back.
Try to position your baby on your chest facing towards you in between your breasts. Try to feed your baby when he or she is awake. If they are not crying is an added advantage. If the baby is crying try to calm them by giving your finger to suck.
After enjoying the babies come let them follow their instincts to reach towards your breast. Here, try to hold the baby’s head and support them behind the shoulders and under the bottom.
Your baby knows where to go. Let them freely move towards your breast on your bare chest. You are supposed to calm your baby only. Try to give a slight push to the baby’s whole body if necessary.
Here, the baby tries to support its legs on your lap and make it position itself to the proper angle for sucking. When the baby is so closer to the nipple, they use their chin into your breast by showing their open mouth and start sucking.
- If you’ve had a cesarean section. Let your child place their legs by the side of your body avoiding them kicking on your C-section wound. You can use a pillow to support your baby’s legs.
- Behind-shoulder support for the baby can be given at this time as well
Mother-Led breastfeeding attachment
Mother-Led breastfeeding attachment is the most popular method among mothers all the time. This is considered to be the best positioning for attachment breastfeeding.
If you are not in the signs of good breastfeeding techniques with your baby you can use this mother breastfeeding attachment technique further.
In this technique, the mother needs to sit upright with supporting pillows. Position a pillow on your lap to support your breast If they are smaller. Then the baby can position up to the limit of the natural fall of your breasts.
Allow touching the baby’s chest with your chest by supporting them behind their back and shoulders. At this moment you can bring their nose to your nipple margin.
Gently touch your nipples over the nose and lips of your baby and stimulate their mouth opening.
Notice the correct time that the baby opens its mouth, then you can direct the nipple at the roof of your baby’s mouth. As soon as they close their mouth, they start sucking.
The signs of correct breastfeeding attachment
- You can experience pain-free comfortable breastfeeding.
- Baby takes the whole nipple and a large percentage of areolar into their mouth and directs it more towards the chin.
- You can hear the baby swallow and he is doing deep and regular sucking attempts
- Your breast is pressed by the baby’s chin and the nose is just touching the breast.
- Your nipples don’t show any signs of damage. They are healthy.
- The baby drains the breast properly. It becomes softer after feeding. But if you feel stretching when the baby is sucking, it notes that the baby is not attached properly.
- If the baby is not attached to your nipple and the breast properly, you can kiss the chest area of your baby. If the attachment hurts you a lot you can break the attachment and re-attach it again.
- Ask for details from your midwife, GP or health visitor, or lactation consultant
How to do burping while breaking the attachment
Never pull your baby away from the breast. If you need to break the attachment, put your little finger in one corner of the baby’s mouth and gently shake between the gums. Then you can gently remove them from the breast.
You need to burp your baby just after feeding on each breast. Gently pat their back by holding them to your shoulder or sit them up.
What are the feeding routines and times?
Newborn babies take 20 minutes of feeding duration normally. They need to be fed 8-12 times every 24 hours
With the growth and development of the baby, they take less time duration and less number of feeds.
The routines may be varied from baby to baby. Some sets of babies need nappy changes and feed from both breasts at the same time. The same category feeds on one breast and takes a nappy change and feeds with the other breast.