Moms are planning to bottle-feed expressed breast milk or infant formula You need a proper guide to bottle-feed. There is no doubt about breast milk, breastfeeding, and its advantages.
The baby formula also has balanced vitamins, minerals, and fat which are essential for your growth and development. They easily digest than cow milk. So as moms and caregivers, you should have a proper guide to bottle-feed.
It’s difficult to select the right formula for a child. When given the wrong one leads to all kinds of problems. So consulting your doctor is the best idea. After selecting a proper formula for your kid this brief guide to bottle-feed is very much important for you to implement for your child.
Things about the baby formula in brief
There are different types of formula and most of them are based on cow’s milk. Some products use protein derived from soybeans and others are specialized for specific dietary needs. You need to consult a physician to give these formulas.
Baby formulas are basically three type
Baby formulas are basically their types
- These milk formulas are basically based on the main milk protein is called casein or whey protein. The whey-based formula is more similar to breast milk.
- Whey-based formulas are good for babies during the first 12 months of a baby’s life. Your product packing shows you the product is whey or casein-based.
Milk based formula
- Some babies are unable to digest lactose. They can’t cow’s milk protein. Soy formulas are added carbohydrates, sucrose, or corn syrup to add essential energy.
- Soy formulas contain more protein milk products. THEY USE VEGETABLE PROTEIN RATHER THAN ANIMAL PROTEIN.
- We have to be very careful when giving these soy formulas as indiscriminate use of soy formulas should avoid. Food intolerance of any kind should be under dietary diagnosis and advice.
- If the baby is over six months, some fruit juices and juice drinks may be safe. But drinks containing sugar are not suitable for small children.
- This sugar contains causes childhood obesity, and serious and common dental problems.
- The new dietary guidelines show breast milk or formula should be the main drink for children under 12 months. But for toddlers, ware is the best drink.
- WHEN GIVING BABY FORMULA, ALWAYS CONSULT A DOCTOR BEFORE MAKING A DECISION
- CORRECT PREPARATION AND STORAGE ARE VITAL FOR HEALTH AND PROPER DEVELOPMENT
- SOME FORMULAS ARE DESIGNED FOR SHORT-TERM USE CAUSING SEVERE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS IN THE CHILDREN.
For feeding equipment
you need basic three. That is
- the number of bottles
- Number of teats
- Sterilizing equipment.
Hope you agree with these things and Let’s talk about that one by one.
Bottles are basically glass or plastic and have different patterns and shapes. Capacity wise these come with 240ml and 120ml. So it is up to you to decide what exactly is needed for your child. Glass takes the gold standard. It is much more suitable than plastic and more hygienic but can be more dangerous if it breaks.
Small size baby bottles
This facilitates grasping ability. The raised patterns help the babies to grasp. But most shapes are only for decorative purposes.
Teats are differed according to the material made of. (rubber or silicon), the shape of the teat and flow rate.
Rubber and silicon teats
Silicon is more suitable than rubber as the teat product material. Because silicon is more durable and able to repeatedly wash, boil, and sterilize. But the rubber becomes sticky and friable after a while.
Later researchers found that nitrosamines in rubber caused cancer and new research found no proof of rubber teats can cause problems.
Shape of teats
Traditional teats come with bell-shaped and so-called orthodontic teats which some manufacturers mother’s nipples during breastfeeding. According to research, these are helpful to a baby’s mouth development.
Flow rate of teats
- The flow rate should be slow for 0-3 months.
- Medium flow rate for 3-6 months
- Fast flow rate for over 06 months.
HOW TO TEST THE TEAT
Pull the bold portion of the teat to test the strength. Discard worn or faulty ones immediately.
This should be a wired-handled nylon brush to clean the bottles before sterilizing. Some bottle brushes have a teat brush on the other end. When washing teats, you should use soapy warm water to rinse all milk or formula and remove all breeding grounds for bacteria.
Measuring jug / spoon / knife
Measuring jugs is an essential thing if you are using a formula. So you measure outright amounts which is an extremely important thing. Avoid too much formula that affects the baby’s digestive system, and kidneys. Also, too many calories provide that.
IF YOU USE PLASTIC PRODUCTS FOR BABIES, YOU HAVE TO PHASE OUT PLASTIC BOTTLES AND PRODUCTS CONTAINING ( BPA ).
The BPA-synthetic compound is used to strengthen plastic products which have a negative effect o health. So always find BPA -Free products
How to bottle-feed your baby-Simple techniques
Close to your baby and get to know them. Bottle feeding is a good chance to make an attachment with your baby. Here you think about your posture as a mom or caregiver. You are sitting comfortably and enjoy holding your baby and making eye contact with them and feeding.
Touch the baby with the teat and do brushing with the teat until the baby opens its mouth wide. Hold the baby fairly upright and support their head at feeding time. Let them breathe and swallow comfortably.
Keep the teat full of milk to avoid the baby taking the air. If the teat goes flat, gently poke the corner of the baby’s mouth to release the suction. If the teat gets blocked, replace it with a sterile one.
The baby takes short breaks and burps while feeding. If the baby has had enough milk, hold the baby upright. All the babies are different. So be guided by your baby. Some need to feed more than others. Don’t worry if they finish the bottle.
Never leave your baby alone to feed with propped-up bottles as they may choke. Talk to your doctor, midwife, or health visitor. If you need it. Take a doctor’s advice if you want to change your regular brand of formula
For lactose intolerant babies, try to find out the formulas. For lactose-intolerant babies, try to find out formulas where lactose has been broken into glucose, galactose, or easier digestive constituents. Seal and pack the formula after opening it and use it within the time specified on the pack.
MY GENERAL ADVICE IS WHEREVER POSSIBLE, MOTHERS SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED TO BREASTFEED THEIR BABIES.
Frequently asked questions
Does my baby constipate after formula?
- Use the recommended amount of powder in the pack.
- Don’t add extra powd
- Consult your midwife, GP, or health visitor if your baby hasn’t done a poo for 2 to 3 days.
Slow weight-gaining babies should be consulted with your pediatrician
Alergies with infant formula
If you have a doubt about this, consult your pediatrician. They may have a special formula for your baby. Even if your formula is labeled as non-allergic, it is not suitable for your cow’s milk allergy kid. Soy formula should only be given under medical supervision
Why the baby is not settling after feeds?
- Sometimes baby may swallow air while bottle feeding. This may be caused discomfort for the child
- It is very important to hold the child upright just after the feed. Gently rub their back while in this position.
Why some babies are vomited?
- Regurgitation may happen while feeding. It means small children are burping a small amount of milk come
- out the mouth just after the feeds and that is very normal.
- Don’t force them to take more milk while they are feeding.
Bottle feeding takes vital importance in baby care. As moms or caregivers have to bottle-feed expressed breast milk or formula. Then they should have a primary guide to bottle-feed. It improves their ability to do that and they try to bottle-feed with the correct techniques and understanding.
So our suggestion is a guide to bottle feed is essential for every mom and caregiver
2 thoughts on “Guide to bottle feed-much needed things to know”
Wow. You brought me back to my childhood. I am the 3rd oldest of 9 children and I used to have to make bottles for my younger baby brothers and sisters. For some reason, there wasn’t all this concerned about baby formula and what was in it. We didn’t have much money so a lot of times my mom breast fed. Other times, she used Enfamil. I’m glad you kept stressing throughout your article to consult your pediatrician before making a decision about what kind of milk to feed your baby. Great article.
Thank you very much for your comment. It is more valuable for us as it went through your personal experiences. we hope that you really enjoy reading our content and we are happy to see that it caused you to recall your memories as well. Keep in touch with us. we consider you as our valuable viewer.