Moms are planning to bottle-feed expressed breast milk or infant formula. You need a proper guide to bottle feed. There is no doubt about breast milk, breastfeeding, and its advantages. The baby formula also has balanced vitamins, minerals, and fat which is essential for your growth and development. They easily digest than cow milk. So as moms and caregivers, you should have a proper guide to bottle-feed.
It’s difficult to select the right formula for a child. When given the wrong one leads to all kinds of problems. So consult your doctor is the best idea. After selecting a proper formula for your kid this brief guide to bottle-feed is very much important for you to implement for your child.
Things about the baby formula in brief
There are different types of formula and most of them are based on cow’s milk. Some products use protein derived from soybeans and others are specialized for specific dietary needs.
ALL THE TIME, YOU NEED TO CONSULT AN EXPERT TO GIVE THESE ALTERNATIVES.
Baby formulas are basically three types.
- Baby juices.
- These milk formulas are basically based on the main milk protein is called casein or whey protein. The whey-based formula is more similar to breast milk.
- Whey-based formulas are good for babies during the first 12 months of a baby’s life. Your product packing shows you the product is whey or casein-based.
- Some babies are unable to digest lactose. They can’t cow’s milk protein. Soy-formulas are added carbohydrates, sucrose, or corn syrup to add essential energy.
- Soy formulas contain more protein milk products. THEY USE VEGETABLE PROTEIN RATHER THAN ANIMAL PROTEIN.
- We have to be very careful when giving these soy formulas as indiscriminate use of soy formulas should avoid. Food intolerance of any kind should be under dietary diagnosis and advice.
- If the baby is over six months, some fruit juices and juice drinks may be safe. But drinks containing sugar are not suitable for small children.
- This sugar contains causes childhood obesity, serious and common dental problems.
- The new dietary guidelines show breast milk or formula should be the main drink for children under 12 months. But for the toddlers, ware is the best drink.
- WHEN GIVING BABY FORMULA, ALWAYS CONSULT A DOCTOR BEFORE MAKING A DECISION
- CORRECT PREPARATION AND STORAGE IS VITAL FOR HEALTH AND PROPER DEVELOPMENT
- SOME FORMULAS ARE DESIGNED FOR SHORT TERM USE CAUSED SEVERE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS TO THE CHILDREN.
you need basic three. That is
- the number of bottles
- Number of teats
- Sterilizing equipment.
Hope you agree with these things and Let’s talk about that one by one.
Bottles are basically glass or plastic and have different patterns and shapes. Capacity wise these come with 240ml and 120ml. So it is up to you to decide what is exactly is needed for your child. Glass takes the gold standard. It is much suitable than plastic and more hygienic but can be more dangerous if it breaks.
Small size baby bottles
This facilitates grasping ability. The raised patterns help the babies to grasp. But most shapes are only for decorative purposes.
Teats are differed according to the material made of. (rubber or silicon), the shape of the teat and flow rate.
RUBBER OR SILICONE TEATS
Silicon is more suitable than rubber as the teat product material. Because silicon is more durable and able to repeatedly washing, boiling and sterilizing. But the rubber becomes sticky friable after a while. Later researches found that nitrosamines in rubber caused cancer and new researches found that no prof of rubber teats can cause problems.
SHAPE OF THE TEATS
Traditional teats come with bell-shaped and so-called orthodontic teats which some manufacturers mother’s nipple during breastfeeding. According to research, these are helpful to a baby’s mouth development.
FLOW RATE OF THE TEATS
- The flow rate should be slow for 0-3 months.
- Medium flow rate for 3-6 months
- Fast flow rate for over 06 months.
HOW TO TEST THE TEAT
Pull the bold portion of the teat to test the strength. Discard worn or faulty ones immediately.
This should be a wired handled nylon brush to clean the bottles before sterilizing. Some bottle brushes have a teat brush on the other end. When washing teats, you should use soapy warm water to rinse all milk or formula and remove all breeding grounds for bacteria.
MEASURING JUG /SPOON/KNIFE
Measuring jug is an essential thing if you are using a formula. So you measure outright amounts which is the extremely important thing. Avoid too much formula that affects the baby’s digestive system, kidneys. Also, too many calories provide that.
IF YOU USE PLASTIC PRODUCTS FOR BABIES, YOU HAVE TO PHASE OUT PLASTIC BOTTLES AND PRODUCTS CONTAINING ( BPA ).
The BPA-synthetic compound is used to strengthen plastic products which have a negative effect o health. So always find BPA -Free products
How to bottle-feed your baby-Simple techniques
Close to your baby and get to know them. The bottle feeding is a good chance to make an attachment with your baby. Here you think about your posture as a mom or caregiver. You are sitting comfortably and enjoy holding your baby and make eye contact with them and feed.
Touch the baby is with the teat and do brushing with the teat until the baby opens its mouth wide. Hold the baby fairly upright and support their head at the feeding time. Let them breathe and swallow comfortably.
Keep the teat full of milk to avoid the baby taking the air. If the teat goes flat, gently poke the corner of the baby’s mouth to release the suction. If the teat gets blocked, replace it with a sterile one.
The baby takes short breaks and burps while feeding. If the baby has had enough milk, hold the baby upright. All the babies are different. So be guided by your baby. Some need to feed more than others. Don’t worry if they finish the bottle.
Never leave your baby alone to feed with propped-up bottles as they may choke. Talk to your doctor, midwife, or health visitor. If you need it. Take a doctor’s advice if you want to change your regular brand of formula
For lactose intolerant babies, try to find out formulas. For lactose intolerant babies, try to find out formulas where lactose has been broken into glucose, galactose, or easier digestive constituents. Seal and pack the formula after opening it and use it within the time specified on the pack.
MY GENERAL ADVICE IS WHEREVER POSSIBLE, MOTHERS SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED TO BREASTFEED THEIR BABIES.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does my baby constipate after formula?
- Use the recommended amount of powder in the pack.
- Don’t add extra powder. It may cause dehydration
- Consult your midwife, GP, or health visitor if your baby hasn’t done a poo for 2 to 3 days.
Slow weight gaining babies should be consulted with your pediatrician
Allergies with infant formula?
- If you have a doubt about this, consult your pediatrician. They may have a special formula for your baby.
- Even if your formula labeled as non-allergic, it is not suitable for your cow’s milk allergy kid.
- Soy formula should only be given under medical supervision
Why the baby is not settling after feeds?
- Some times baby may swallow air while bottle feeding. This may be caused to discomfort with the child
- It is very important to hold the child upright just after the feed. Gently rub their back while in this position.
Why some babies are vomited?
- Regurgitation may happen while feeding. It means small children are burping a small amount of milk come
- out the mouth just after the feeds and that is very normal.
- Don’t force them to take more milk while they are feeding.
Bottle feeding takes vital importance in baby care. As moms or caregivers have to bottle-feed expressed breast milk or formula. Then they should have a primary guide to bottle-feed. It improves their ability to do that and they try to bottle-feed with correct techniques and understanding.
So our suggestion is a guide to bottle feed is essential for every mom and caregiver