We are spending a busy target-oriented hurried life. Most people don’t know the importance of play with their loving children. especially preschoolers. So play activities with preschoolers take vital importance. Our recommendation is to get an opportunity each and every day with your children. That play safeguards the purity of childhood and develops imagination and creativity among your kids’.
It is difficult to characterize general opinion on the term” play”. It is a fun, voluntary, and spontaneous series of activities. It is the most joyful discovery among the children.
Play involves taking risks, testing boundaries, and expecting in a safe nurturing environment.
Play is an essential part of early learning and it is the lifeblood of the learning to process.
- cognitive abilities
- Socio-emotional and physical skills
- promote healthy brain development.
Play activities of preschoolers take these maximum advantages because they contribute these advantages for academics and learning to process.
Stages of play
According to Mildred Parton’s stages of play theory, the child will develop play as a developing group therapy finally he/she interacts with other people and develop their social skills nicely. They are developing into a developing hierarchical series of steps
In this play stage, the child tends to observe playing but he is not engaging with play.
Here, the child watches other’s play and does not engage in it. He/she plays alone. Children under 3 years are mostly doing this and they are not interested in other’s activities.
The child does not engage with other’s play. They only look at it. They are trying to talk about play activity but physically they are not joining it.
Children play separately alone close to others. But they do not engage with others. This is the more complex social stage play. Age 2- 41/2 children are mostly doing this.
The child is interested to play with others and interacts with playing groups. But that is not a more organized and coordinated activity.
The child is interested in playing people and that play activity is well organized & participants are assigned to roles. This is the beginning of teamwork. Age 4-6 children are doing this.
The most benefited advantage of play-social development
Children start social play independently then they join parallel play with other children. Before they play with another they learn more essential skills through play indications including
- taking turns
- Reading cues from others
Within a community children develop some emotional skills such as perseverance, learn to adapt, learn to accept defeat, build character and confidence, and develop empathy, etc.
Social play support to develop brain and body combination and provide necessary inputs. It improves muscular, endurance, and coordination.
Social play improves a child’s health with much activity.
Other aspects of social-emotional developing areas are
- Improve emotional intelligence
- Improve cooperation
- Improve learning confidence and negotiation
- Improve sharing and empathy
- Improve how to communicate effectively
- This is a very essential part of play activities for preschoolers. These playgrounds are very much stable for open creative play and self-discovery. The playground is a safe and secure location for children. It can facilitate larger imaginative play experiences.
- That will spark your children’s creativity and allow them to say new things. provide an exclusive experience for children with special needs. Sophisticated playgrounds meet the children’s ability levels and provide really engaging components.
- A great playground can make a difference among the children. It drives the child’s excitement for play. Playground play promotes a child’s gross motor skills basically. Then they engage with the fine motor skills of the children as well.
Directing the child into free play
- Overcoming barriers and supporting does not require expensive toys. Best of all the time spent together builds a better relationship with your child.
- Simple and unsophisticated objects like building blocks, cubes, rods, sand, natural colors, art craft, and papers, etc. can provide children a wide range of imagination and thinking ability towards the world. With that skills the next step is creating a group then into the society and making interactions is the other important aspect of socialization.
- Free play provides a nice platform to help those skills within a child. Free play time impacts a child’s physical, emotional, and social well being. It nourishes the child’s body, mind, and senses. It teaches a lot of life skills.
- There should be no adult guidance and only supervision is needed for this free play.
- Some of the free play ideas are as follows;
- Playing with toys, balls, and toy animals
- Role-playing (A school teacher teaches at school ).
- Playing with blocks and sand
- Make building blocks without instructions
- Co louring and painting blank sheets
Free play helps lavage development as well. When a child plays they are mastering skills. That skills navigate their lives. so free play is a crucial aspect of all kinds of play. Language development starts through peer group modifications among children. Peers need to communicate with each other. So they use to play as their communicative medium.
As adults, you have to understand the importance of free play. then you may still be involved but do not try to direct the children. This unstructured, voluntary,child-initiated activity provides lots of advantages to the kids’ life.
Play is key to child development. The good news is children are intrinsically interested in play and parents have to provide them opportunities.
They should facilitate collaborative play opportunities in both indoor and outdoor playgrounds. Because playing in a playground is a fun job for preschoolers especially.
SIR KEN ROBBINSON once said when we designed play activities for preschoolers
MOST GREAT LEARNING HAPPENS IN THOSE PLAY GROUPS & COLLABORATION IS THE STUFF OF GROWTH.