- Our sensory system comprises seven basic senses. that is vision, touch, taste, hearing, smell, balance, joint positioning [proprioception]. We all are processing these senses through our nervous system. That is mainly the central nervous system; the brain and the spinal cord. When the brain does not process these senses, it caused the sensory processing disorder
- Here mainly to brain acquires those senses and processes. Then respond to particular senses and give feedback to them. It means we can identify certain tastes, smells, sounds, colors, and such as associated senses because have prior experience about those and our brain will help to memorize those previous sensory experiences and get to feeling about them and finally respond to them.
- It means our mouth gets watering when we see or smell interesting foods we greedily experienced before or to identify the sound of our loved family member or friend and get responses to them.
- Such things are basically done by sensory processing phenomenon in our body.
- But sometimes there may be some problems with this sensory processing phenomenon. These tendencies mainly can be seen among kids. That is among toddlers, pre-schoolers, schools, and other teenagers. Sometimes it can be found among adults.
- As parents, caregivers, or family members have to pay huge attention and effort in dealing with sensory processing issues among kids as they can not mostly express their needs and discomforts verbally or gesturally regarding the sensory area.
- It is very troublesome in day to day life management for kids as normal daily home environments, school environments, or outer environments are full of senses, and kids can not differentiate all and respond to them respectively.
- This article gives you a total and concise understanding of you all and you can join with me commenting on your important ideas.
Sensory problems- types
- Sensory problems are basically two types. This is very common in sensory processing disorder ib both adults and kids
- Over sensitivity[Above to average level]
- under sensitivity[Below to average level].
Imagine all senses resemble a cup and water is to sensory input. So under sensitivity kids are like big mugs and need a lot of water to fill. Same as they need much of sensory impulses to achieve a saturated level.
Oversensitivity kids are like a small cup and need little water drops to fill. Same as they need a very small amount of sensory impulses to achieve a saturated level
Problems of vision and hearing
visual under sensitivity behaviors of kids
- watching moving objects every time
- Delayed reaction times
- Mostly showing sensory seeking behaviors
visual over sensitivity behaviors of kids
- When they see a picture they concern with small details of it (such as a particular place or dot or col our area). THEY DO NOT SEE the WHOLE PICTURE
- Easily distracted
- Difficulty in locating objects.
- Can not sleep if to room is not completely dark.
- Things have to set up in a specific way.
Hearing under sensitivity behaviors of kids
- Does not respond to name
- Respect to the same phrase
- Delayed reaction time
- Performs better with background noise.
Hearing over sensitivity behaviors of kids
- Sensitive to noises and voices
- Difficult to focus on the speaker
- Easily startled by sounds
- Makes noise while working
- Overwhelmed in crowds
- As parents and family members, you have to observe your child at home and school and inform me in the comments as I can clarify your problem precisely for you
Problems of taste and smell
Taste under sensitive behaviors of kids
- Prefers strong scants
- Eats everything
Taste oversensitive behaviors of kids
- prefers blend tastes
- Avoid eating new foods
- Eats a smaller variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Sometimes chokes
- Frequently gags
Smell under sensitive behaviors of kids
- Impaired Oder detection
- Unable to determine when food has gone bad
- Difficulty labeling scants
Smell over sensitive behaviors of kids
- Higher food refusal due to scants
- Nauseated or gags from certain foods
- Decreased willingness to go to public places.
Problems of touch and balance
Touch under sensitive behaviors of kids
- Does not seem to feel pain or cold
- Unaware of being a touch
- Does not notice foods on the face
- Can not find things in the bag or desk without looking
- Prefers heavy tight clothes
- prefers crunchy foods
Touch oversensitive behaviors of kids
- Dislike textured foods
- Bothered by clothing
- Dislike light touch on face or back
- Hates being dirty
Balance under sensitive behaviors of kids
- Sways or rocks while sitting
- Seeks fast rides
- Does not seem to get dizzy
- Puts head upside down
Balance oversensitive behaviors of kids.
- Frequently falls
- Difficulty riding a bike
- Sensitive to movement
- Dislike riding on elevators
- Struggles to go on uneven surfaces.
Position issues of kids (proprioception)
Position under sensitive behaviors of kids
- This problem is unable to stay in a raw. They have issues of posture, walking, flexibility, and speed
- Seeking out crashing/squishing
- Messy eater
- Knocks items even reaching to them
- Difficult to going up and downstairs.
- Bump into things frequently.
- Position Over sensitive behaviors of kids
- Avoid sports or physical activities
- Prefers to be physically supported
- keeps arms close to the body.
The ultimate solution for most of these problems
- Sensory integration therapy or sensory enrichment therapy is the main treatment. It is very much effective for this. But close identification of sensory problems and proper assessment by a pediatrician o therapist is a must.
- There may be associated with medical diagnoses such as autism spectrum disorder, Attention deficit hyperactive disorder, and such conditions should be closely considered when treating these types of issues in kids.
- proper assessments should be applied to evaluate the existing level and after serial therapy programs, it should be reassessed to understand whether the treatment approaches are applicable or not.
- Parents, family members, or caregivers should observe their loving kids and identify their behavioral patterns and get a simple but important idea of whether your child is having sensory issues.
- If you identified that kind of issue you should get an estimation of whether your kid is having over sensitivity or under sensitivity. It may be a basic sign of sensory processing disorder.
- This simple and brief understanding will help you to direct your child to a professional body to address this as a medical issue.
- He/she may be a pediatrician and an occupational therapist most of to time.
- So get a clean, precise, and total understanding of your kids and direct them to an appropriate intervention. That will be to shinning future of your loved ones and they need your support.