Talking about children and their difficulties and abnormalities.it is very much important for you all to categorize your child. It means which age category does your child belongs, If you are having an intent (. 0-12 months basically] or a toddler[1-3 year basically] or a preschooler [3-5 year basically].
So then you can think of an assessing area of a child because the child development area is a huge and very widely spread area. So you may misguide or misunderstand in finding solutions to most of the problems your child has.
To identify a child we have to observe his behavior and the specific signs and symptoms. but the most important thing to know as a parent is; these signs and symptoms are interrelated to each other and can not differentiate one another very easily.
So these problems are called spectrum type disorders or illnesses. spectrum means a collection of signs and symptoms and the overall picture of the child remains to be same at a glance.
If your child shows these signs and symptoms-Autism spectrum
Take a very close look at your child. then if you find whether your child needs mild, moderate, or extensive support in these areas in normal life you have to intervene closely with your loved one.
Problems having planning, structure, and routine
Imagine your child is attending a school. While the normal school routine is going, suddenly the school organizes a Christmas party. On the party day, he/she looks at lots of art, crafts, decorations, noise, people, and events are going on. Here the child has to experience a series of new things and a new environment.
So here is the place where the problem occurs. When the child can not face a newly changed environment, he/she can’t cope with society there. Then their anxiety level goes up.
They tend to go for avoidance mechanisms. Here we see the odd behavior pattern and a set of strange set of activity list with the new situation. These symptoms are mostly part of autistic children. so you need an extensive life plan to reorganize those children’s lifestyles. You can start with
- Plan and predict the day’s activities
- Plan and Prepare the day’s routines and changes
- Predict endpoint of activities
- Understanding what is expected
- Help multitasking activities
- Tireless structured topic works
- Group work, team games, and other complex tasks.
- Creative writing
- Problems having communication
Problems having communication
These children are having problems with social communication. Expressive language is more affected than receptive language. So these kids have to depend on assumptions in functioning daily life.
So the incidence of misunderstanding is increased.
THIS CAUSED TO INCREASE ANXIETY LEVEL OF THE KID.
SO they behave in very odd manners which parents can not control. These kids are having difficulties with nonverbal communication and difficulties with gestures, facial expressions. As a result of that, their understanding level is minimal. So refusal levels are increased. So as parents, you better use the following guides related to the communication issues of these kids.
- Problems of nonverbal communication areas
- poor eye contact
- no social smile
- lack of facial expressions
- problems of using and understanding nonverbal behaviors
- Does not point or gesture communication
- Can not balance the verbal and nonverbal integrity of communication.
- These simple strategies can be implemented to overcome most of these problems
- Use simple sentences
- Simple familiar words
- Don’t use figurative lavage
- Focus on what should do[don’t say shouldn’t things]
- Be specific
- Always address the child by name
- Avoid emotional content
- Don’t rely on nonverbal
- Support with visual cues
- Various types of group therapies, group activity plans, Use picture support for maximizing understanding, and other sorts of anxiety reduction methods can be implemented in these instances.
Imagine in a circle round at the classroom, the teacher asked to make a circle for all children. but these autistic type kids know they need to support to make around. But they don’t know how to support making it.so they perform an odd behavior pattern.
So they are highlighted among the other children. after anxiety level goes up and that is caused to ruin whole after the procedure.
The teacher should give all the necessary steps about the activity before the event with additional support such as picture cards, simply categorized instructions, etc.
Social imagination and understanding emotions
Also, these kids have problems imagining a situation hypothetically. They can not name their own feelings, emotions, and own behaviors. So they need extensive support. That support will help them to understand the expect ions, recognize the purpose of the activity, predict outcomes of events and social instructions. Finally, they complete the creative task.
- These kids show deficits in social-emotional reciprocity.
- Can’t understand the feelings of people
- Can’t understand self feelings
- Lack of joint attention
- Lack of sharing interests
- Abnormal social approach
- Failure of the normal back after a conversation
- Can not understand jokes
- The following approaches can be implemented to overcome difficulties.
- Team games will improve interpersonal skills
- Games help to understand how the behavior impacts others
- how does empathize to other children
- How to do imaginative play
- How to share feelings
- Most of these type of kids[means autism kids]performs well in their homes. Some other kids perform well in schools and other structured environments.
- The physical environment is a key factor in their behavior. We as parents, teachers, carers, and supporters, have to think about various angles about these children. And hypothetically imagine those situations and do effective therapy treatments.
- IN ADDITION TO THAT MOST KIDS ARE HAVING SENSORY INTEGRATION DEFICITS. THEY TRY TO FULL FILL THEIR SENSORY NEEDS BY VARIOUS WAYS. IT IS MORE COMPLICATED AS THEY VERBALLY CAN NOT EXPRESS THE DEMAND.
- As parents, you should direct the child to professionals like pediatricians, occupational therapists, etc. To do a sensory profile and identify the sensory deficit among them. Then the sensory integration therapies should be initiated as soon as possible. These therapies should be client base, well assessed, and methodical to avoid the sensory overload of the kids.
- In this way, we can raise a balanced, well-behaved capable child.